We sincerely hope that you greatly enjoy this article about 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels as much as we enjoyed creating it. Although every part of the world has its beauty, this beautiful region of the globe just seems to teem with natural splendor.
But, this region of the world appears to perhaps have more than its fair share. Obviously, these 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels represent only a few of the splendid sights to behold in this region. But we hope this article will inspire you to inquire after the others.
Prohodna Cave Facts
- Leading off this article about 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels is the breathtaking feature known as Prohodna Cave.
- First of all, the incredibly unique location truly represents a most visually appealing and fascinating view of the works of Nature. Furthermore, it also forms an example of a highly specific type of cave located in Europe.
- But, its most easily recognizable feature remains the two distinctly eye-shaped openings located in the ceiling. Quite surprisingly, these naturally formed openings coincidentally developed roughly the same size and shape.
- This rare and truly fascinating double formation, bears the name of Okanata. This means windows in the native language of the region. Further, Prohodna Cave featured prominently in a locally produced film entitled Time of Violence.
- Given its astounding beauty and distinctiveness, one fact remains completely understandable. That’s the fact that this site easily ranks as one of the most popular tourist sites in the region, and remains well known throughout the world.
Prohodna Cave Physical Description
The truly impressive Prohodna Cave itself ranks as a moderately large cave. That’s due to the fact that it measures roughly 860 ft (262 m) in length. This astounding measurement also makes it the longest cave passage in the country it formed in.
This sincerely magnificent wonder of geology also has two entrances. Fascinatingly, these wonders within a wonder lay almost directly opposite each other. For obvious reasons, these structures bear the names of the Big Entrance and the Small Entrance.
Firstly, the Big Entrance itself measures roughly 148 ft (45 m) in height. The dimensions of the other opening, meanwhile, are not significantly smaller. To be more precise, the opening named the Small Entrance measures 115 ft (35 m) high.
To further amaze us, Nature created yet another impressive feature to this location. That holds true because the efforts of entirely natural forces allowed for the two openings to form in roughly the center of the ceiling of the large chamber.
Finally, one more awesome sight greets the fortunate visitor to Prohodna Cave. Together, the two entrances also allow great amounts of sunlight to enter the cave. As a result of this, vegetation can be found growing in places throughout its length.
Prohodna Cave Location, Formation, and History
The gorgeous Prohodna Cave formed in a region of the world already renowned for its abundance of natural beauty. That’s due to the fact that this marvel of nature formed in what now represents the country of Bulgaria, in Europe.
Even more precisely, however, the cave sits roughly 1.2 mi (2 km) from the village of Karlukovo. Further, this stunning cave of wonders sits in the equally beautiful, and similarly-named, Karlukovo Gorge. This canyon itself forms part of the Geological Park Iskar-Panega.
This work of Nature itself remains worthy of mention, because it also constitutes one of the largest karst regions in the country in which it formed. This stunning site also represents what geologists commonly refer to as a karst cave.
That’s due to its very specific geology. The walls and ceiling of the gorgeous cave primarily contain relatively large quantities of the mineral limestone. This relatively soft mineral gradually eroded over great spans of time due to the action of flowing water.
Evidence found in various locations in Prohodna Cave also indicates that humans have been aware of and made use of the cave for nearly 12,000 years. A national movement in 1966 named this rather breathtaking location as one of the 100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria.
Seven Rila Lakes
Seven Rila Lakes Facts
- The next of our choices to include within this listing of 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels is the stunning location known as Seven Rila Lakes.
- Perhaps most notably, as the name implies, Seven Rila Lakes serves as the name for a stunning grouping of small lakes situated together. Quite unsurprisingly, the collective beauty of these magnificent wonders of Nature creates great interest.
- This extreme appeal also makes this breathtaking location a popular tourist attraction in the area. Due to this extreme and justified, popularity, these represent the most visited lakes in the immediate region of the world in which they formed.
- Nature, however, also adores variation. That appreciation for variety also presents itself here. It manifests in the characteristics of the seven individual lakes. Each of the small bodies of water formed in distinctly different shapes and dimensions.
- Each of these miniature marvels formed at slightly different altitudes. But, the entire group sits at a remarkable height above sea level. Locals long ago gave each of the Seven Rila Lakes a specific name. Each reflects characteristics unique to each of the lakes.
- The names, therefore, derive from such attributes as height, form, depth, steepness of its banks, size relative to the others, and so forth. The lakes bear the names of Okoto, Salzata, Bliznaka, Babreka, Trilistnika, Ribnoto, and Dolnoto Ezero.
Seven Rila Lakes Physical Description
First of all, it must be noted that each member of the stunning Seven Rila Lakes has completely different dimensions. Each of these wonders also has quite different shapes and depths. However, each of the gorgeous bodies has one thing in common.
That’s the fact that each remains small, regardless of their beauty. For starters, tiny Salzata remains the smallest of the gorgeous group of lakes, in terms of area. That’s because it measures only 1.7 acres (0.7 ha) in area. It also has an average depth of only 15 ft (4.5 m).
Trilistnika, meanwhile, represents the second largest of the group. It has an area of 6.4 acres (2.6 ha), and a depth of 21 ft (6.5 m). Ribnoto ezero, though, as the third largest, has an area of about 8.6 acres (3.5 ha), but has a depth measuring a total of only 8.2 ft (2.5 m).
Yet, at fourth largest in size, Dolnoto ezero has an area equaling roughly 15 acres (5.9 ha). It also has a depth of 36.1 ft (11 m). However, Okoto measures fifth largest in area, at 17 acres (6.8 ha), but has the greatest depth. Its waters measure a total of 123 ft (37.5 m) deep.
Also, as the sixth largest of the stunning lakes, in area, Babreka totals 21 acres (8.5 ha) in area. It also possesses has a depth of 91.9 ft (28 m). Finally, mighty Bliznaka is the largest of the Seven Rila Lakes. It has an area of 22 acres (9.1 ha), and also a depth of 90 ft (27.5 m).
Seevn Rila Lakes Location, Formation, and Nature
Firstly, the magical beauty known collectively as Seven Rila Lakes formed in a region of the world already well known for its natural beauty. That occurs because of the fact that these marvelous lakes formed in the country of Bulgaria, located in the southeast part of Europe.
More specifically, though, the site formed in a northwest portion of the mountain known as Rila. In addition, taken either individually or collectively, these lakes have the same origin. Each of these beautiful small bodies of water owe their existence to glacial activity.
This holds true due to the fact that the mountains in which they formed possess a covering of glaciers, as well as frequent and abundant snowfall. This provides the lakes with a regular flow. Also, each of the stunning Seven Rila Lakes has its own unique characteristic.
These, in turn, earned them names based on these traits. Locals named Salzata after the clarity of its waters. Trilistnika, recived its name based on its low shores and irregular outline. Ribnoto ezero earns its name because of the extreme shallowness of its depth.
However, Dolnoto ezero receives its name due to its particular position. That’s the fact that it sits lowest of the seven in terms of surface above sea level. In English, its name means Lowest Lake. But Okoto gets its name based on its roughly oval shape.
On the other hand, the lake named Babreka earns the term because it has the steepest shores of any of the group. And finally, mighty Bliznaka, which means The Twin in English, received its name because it remains the largest of the lakes.
Devetashka Cave Facts
- Third up in this compendium of 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels, Breathtaking Devetashka Cave places there only due to random selection.
- Firstly, the unique term serves as the name of an incredible site. To be more precise, the term names a visually remarkable cave. Significant evidence also that indicates yet another astounding fact about this amazing location exists.
- That’s the fact that this incredible site has seen lengthy human habitation. Evidence places this dating back for tens of thousands of years. The extremely impressive cave further remains famous for a very specific and unique reason.
- Its fame occurs due to the presence of the seven differently sized holes which line its high roof. These natural openings run along its length. As a result, these allow sunlight to penetrate to the central hall, as well as to parts of its two separate fields.
- Additionally, the comparatively large entrance to the remarkable cave measures about 115 ft (35 m) wide by 98 ft (30 m) in total height. The unique and picturesque Devetashka Cave now also constitutes a beautiful National Landmark.
- Thanks to concerted efforts, this fully deserved status has held true since June 1996. The site now holds a certain degree of fame. This holds true due to the fact that it has served as the site of several films, due to its distinctive beauty.
Devetashka Cave Twin Halls
Roughly 131 ft (40 m) into Devetashka Cave, another wonder greets the eye. In fact, the fabulous location then widens into an enormous hall. The truly magnificent ceiling of this stunning natural hall reaches heights of as much as 328 ft (100 m) high in places.
Its overall measurements remain impressive. The entire hall has a total area equaling 25,833 sq ft (2,400 sq meters). Also, roughly 650 ft (200 m) from the opening of the cave, it branches into two distinct fields. These two fields themselves possess different features.
The wonders of this cave never seem to end. The awesome sights do not end with these natural halls. There are other wondrous marvels of geology hiding within this site. Indeed, many stalagmites and stalactites also fill many parts of the stunning Devetashka Cave.
Devetashka Cave Location and Underground River
Devetashka Cave formed in a region of the world well known for its great natural beauty. That’s due to the fact that its formation occurred in what now forms the country of Bulgaria, in Europe. The stunning cave also lies situated very close to the village of Devetaki.
Given its measurements, it forms one of the largest known caves in the country. Within the mind-blowing Devetashka Cave, both of the fields each have their own separate beauty. These sites also serve to draw the appreciative visitor to the location.
Firstly, the left field equals about 1.25 mi (2 km) in length. It also contains a small underground river flowing through it which empties into the Osam river. Secondly, the field to the right, unlike the one on the left, remains quite dry and generally very warm.
After the entrance, the field also widens out into an almost perfectly rectangular hall. How this occurred still remains something of a small mystery to scientists. This hall itself measures a remarkable size of about 49 feet (15 m) wide, and 164 feet (50 m) long.
Belogradchik Rocks Facts
- The final entry into this compilation of 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels is the mind-boggling feature known as the Belogradchik Rocks.
- Firstly, the name applies to truly remarkable and specific grouping of strangely shaped rock formations. This amazing, and quite distinctive, geological formation also formed in a very remote and rugged region of the continent.
- The impressive site has, nevertheless, on occasion played a pivotal role in the local region. In addition to its obvious distinctiveness, the fantastic shapes also have an important cultural role in the region in which they formed.
- In point of fact, this formation has become associated with many local legends. Many of the formations bear the names of people or animals. Fortunately, the amazing location has been named a National Landmark by the government of the region.
- This much deserved action occurred in the year 1949. Due to the same beauty that led to this action, it has become a significant tourist attraction in the area. Another excellent reason exists for respecting and protecting this marvelous work of Nature.
- That holds true due to the fact that the Belogradchik Rocks also happens to be the only known habitat of a plant the IUCN presently lists as Critically Endangered. Fortunately, the government takes steps to protect the species.
Belogradchik Rocks Physical Description
Perhaps most notably, the remarkable Belogradchik Rocks has an impressive geological composition. This composition further remains most uncommon. That’s due to the fact that it represents a combination of conglomerate and sandstone.
Long-term erosion also served to create a remarkable variety of incredible shapes out of the rocks. This includes several sharply contrasting features. However, it mainly consists of tall columns and small valleys with steeply vertical slopes.
All of this began during the Permian Period, about 230 million years ago. In addition, the same geological process also formed the surrounding mountain range. Nature, though, did not simply stop there with its work at building this marvelous site.
That holds true due to one particularly startling fact. At a later period, the region actually formed the floor of a small, shallow sea. This body of water served as the source of much of the material the stunning formation remains comprised of today.
Belogradchik Rocks Location and Geography
The Belogradchik Rocks formed in a region of the world known for its natural beauty. That’s region now constitutes the country of Bulgaria, in Europe. Further, the impressive structures appear on a small portion of the western slopes of the Balkan Mountains.
Additionally, the prevalent mineral components of the rocks created striking natural features. In fact, these provide the site with a stunning visual appeal. That’s true because, in color, the various formations display a significantly wide range of colors.
These beautiful colors primarily consist of various shades of red, yellow, and black. But the impressiveness of the Belogradchik Rocks does not remain restricted to appearance alone. In this location Nature took its time to form a true masterpiece.
That’s due to some its especially impressive measurements. Heights vary, of course, yet some of the individual rock formations stand as tall as 656 ft (200 m). Add this to the presence of steep valleys between them and the effect becomes remarkable.
In conclusion, the total area of the geological formations covers an area measuring 19 sq mi (50 sq km). The natural formations actually appear in five amazing groupings. Finally, the largest of the natural formations sits near the town of Belogradchik, hence the name.
4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels
We truly hope that you have enjoyed this article about 4 Bulgarian Geological Marvels, for they certainly deserve to be appreciated. We also hope that you find yourself with a desire to learn more of these marvels, and others, in the amazing region.
But, we must also remind you that these wonders of Nature need to be preserved in their natural state. Let us all do all that we can to assure that these masterpieces of Nature’s work remain intact and unharmed.