Enchanted Well Facts
- Most notably, the perfectly named marvel of Nature known appropriately as the Enchanted Well truly merits its name. This naturally occurring feature represents a breathtakingly beautiful site of incredible natural awe and wonder.
- This incredible geological feature formed in a beautiful part of the world some might consider remarkably remote. Coincidentally, as a result of this placement, the area in which it formed also happens to lie very close to a protected area.
- This fortuitous location, quite thankfully, provides the incredible geological site with a certain measure of protection. Nonetheless, due to its truly remarkable characteristics, roughly 7,000 visitors tour the Enchanted Well each year.
- The precious ecosystem of which it forms a vital part still remains quite fragile. Thankfully, ongoing monitored preservation efforts remain in place. As if all of this was not enough, this site has yet another fact to make it worthy of appreciation.
- This statement holds true due to the fact that the Enchanted Well also continues to serve as home to a wide variety of animal life. Most of these evolved as indigenous to only a few areas of the world. However, a few appear nowhere else on earth.
Enchanted Well Physical Description
The seemingly magical Enchanted Well formed in a spot that itself merits appreciation. This enchanting location sits inside the sheltering confines of a large limestone cave. Despite the conditions, though, its fortunate placement allows for adequate light to enter.
The picturesque water of the well also boasts another surprise. That’s the fact that it also remains surprisingly deep. As a result, it has an average depth of roughly 197 ft (60 m). The same collection of water also has a width that measures about 361 ft (110 m) at its widest.
But, the placement of the astounding Enchanted Well, though impressive in itself, isn’t its only claim to fame, by any means. For one thing, the stunning body of water contained within the so-called well also remains world-renowned for its extraordinary clarity.
Further, this visually astounding characteristic primarily occurs due to the strong presence of one particular element. That’s the element of magnesium. Because of the presence of the mineral in the water, an amazing transformation takes place.
Given the unique combination of these factors, the nearly magical-seeming pool has almost unbelievable clearness. In point of fact, its clarity remains so great that the fortunate visitor can easily see all the way to the bottom of the breathtaking pool.
Enchanted Well Location, Formation, and Ecosystem
First of all, the sincerely astounding feature commonly known as the Enchanted Well originated in an already beautiful spot of the world. That’s because of the fact that this site sits in the eastern portion of the country of Brazil, in South America.
Fortunately, however, the extreme ruggedness of the region, and also its relative inaccessibility, helps to limit tourism. Luckily, natural forces created it within what now constitutes the boundaries of the Chapada Diamantina National Park.
This incredible site formed through the relentless effects of erosion. This occurred because of the existence of an underground river within its surrounding limestone. Further, Nature even provided just the right combination of factors to allow for its appreciation.
A well-placed natural opening allows sunlight to enter. Additionally, the light enters at just the right angle to create a stunning blue hue. In addition to being blessed with extreme natural beauty, countless creatures native to the region call the Enchanted Well home.
This collection of forms of life includes numerous species of bats. It also includes quite a few frogs and snakes. All these remain dependent on its ecosystem. Finally, the location also serves as one of only a few known locations where a rare species of blind catfish lives.