Limnonectes larvaepartus Facts
- The recently discovered Limnonectes larvaepartus represents a unique species of frog. This newly recognized and rather remarkable animal species does not yet possess a common name.
- Astonishingly, this incredible amphibian also represents one of only four known varieties of a frog to develop fang-like teeth.
- Currently 6,455 extant species of frog are known to science. But this one represents one of only twelve to reproduce internally.
- To add to its distinctiveness, it is the only known frog on earth to not only conceive internally but to give birth to fully developed tadpoles.
- The other species of frogs to give birth to live young deliver froglets.
Limnonectes larvaepartus Physical Description
The surprising Limnonectes larvaepartus displays a slight degree of sexual dimorphism. Overall, the species averages roughly 1.5 in (3.8 cm) in length.
However, females average slightly larger in length. Yet the males have a slightly stouter body shape. This lightweight species reaches only 0.18 oz (5 grams) in weight.
The upper portions of the body vary in color. This portion may be either brownish gray, golden tan or reddish-brown. The underbelly of the Limnonectes larvaepartus may be either cream-colored or yellowish.
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Amphibia
- Order: Anura
- Family: Dicroglossidae
- Genus: Limnonectes
- Species: L. larvaepartus
Limnonectes larvaepartus Distribution, Habitat, and Ecology
The habitat of the diminutive marvel consists of a rather dense jungle. Also, typically near streams, located amid the mountainous regions of the island.
After mating, females typically produce about 100 eggs. How the surprising creature achieves internal reproduction actually remains a complete mystery, however.
This occurs because the male possesses no discernible reproductive organ. Thus, Nature still holds many mysteries.