Mou Waho Island Facts
- Quite understandably, the most notable thing about the astonishing Mou Waho Island lies in its own physical nature. That’s because this gorgeous marvel of Nature actually remains one of the most unique and amazing formations on earth.
- Intriguingly, the mesmerizing location holds that remarkable distinction due to one specific characteristic it possesses. That’s true because the highly surprising island itself sits within the confines of a beautiful body of fresh water water.
- This location, itself a lovely site, bears the name of Lake Wanaka. But the presence of this lake, in itself, isn’t particularly unique. Things become much more interesting after that, however, as Nature once again displays its love of wondrous variety.
- That’s due to the fact that, within the physical boundaries of the small island itself lies yet another small, wholly natural lake. Within this secondary lake, to the complete amazement of those fortunate enough to view it, lies yet another small isle.
- Therefore, the remarkable Mou Waho Island, quite literally remains unlike any other known location on the planet. The site actually represents part of an amazing natural chain. That’s an island, within a lake, on an island, in a lake, on an island!
Mou Waho Island Physical Description
Although more famous due to the uniqueness of its location, Mou Waho Island itself bears its own natural appeal. That fact’s readily apparent to its visitors. This breathtaking location also has many more features to enjoy than just the lake residing on it.
For starters, the impressive island, and thus the lake within which it sits, lies at the top of a small mountain. This mountain bears the somewhat unusual name of Tyrwhitt Peak. The gorgeous Mou Waho Island also proudly boasts numerous other small lakes.
These features themselves bear noting, because the water within them remains renowned for its incredible clarity. Some of its visitors, in fact, consider these to be among the clearest in the world. Yet another wonder for this incredible site to call its own.
Numerous other small pools, too tiny to be considered lakes, also dot the island. The site also possesses many tiny, secluded beaches, and a primarily rocky, steep coastline. Nature truly went all out when it created this astounding geological marvel long ago.
Mou Waho Island Location, Preservation Efforts, and Wildlife
The location of the truly stunning Mou Waho Island might not surprise you. It formed in a region of the world well known for its vast numbers of beautiful locations. That’s because the natural marvel formed on the somewhat isolated island country of New Zealand.
Fortunately, its location makes the island impossible to reach, except by boat or helicopter. Nevertheless, it does still constitute a popular tourist destination. The stunning site also remains a highly popular destination for repeated visits by those who live in the region.
Hiking this scenic island also forms a popular activity among local sports enthusiasts. As a result, it has the honor of being a World Heritage Walking Tour site. Despite this human traffic, however, great efforts are taken to preserve Mou Waho Island in its natural state.
Fortunately, the entirety of it now holds the designation of a Nature Reserve. The invasive, non-native animals and insects which once threatened to overwhelm the native populations now no longer do so. It also serves as home to a wide variety of flora and fauna.
For one, a relatively stable population of wetas and geckos now resides on the island. But its most notable native resident likely remains a particular species of flightless bird. That’s true given the fact that this location serves as one of the last homes of the Buff Weka.