Erg Chebbi Facts
- The simple term of Erg Chebbi serves as the english language translation of the name for this remarkable work of natural processes. Within the region in which it formed, however, it’s best known by another moniker in the Arabic language.
- This marvel of Nature also sits in a relatively remote area. That’s because the nearest sizable human habitation lies roughly 37 mi (60 km) from the boundary of this site. A small tourist center has also been established near the periphery of the region.
- The structure further distinguishes itself due to the scarcity of such features in the surrounding region. In fact, this geological formation represents one of only two such formations, known by the term of erg, found in the country in which it sits.
- Given its natural appeal and stark beauty, it’s not surprising that it now serves as a center of tourism. Its remoteness, though, serves to limit this, at least to a reasonable degree. It nevertheless does serve as a respectable source of income in the region.
- The predominant method of accessing Erg Chebbi continues to be camel train. Many local residents also access the site, however. Being buried neck-deep in the sands for a few minutes at a time is considered in local belief to be a treatment for rheumatism.
Erg Chebbi Physical Description
The amazing feature known as Erg Chebbi amazes those who encounter it for a variety of reasons pertaining to its physical characteristics. It’s impossible to say which of these ranks as most impressive, though, because individual perspectives naturally vary.
This product of natural forces represents a comparatively large example of what’s called a dune sea. It directly owes its formation to the action of widblown sands, accumulated over a vast span of time. Beneath them, however, lies a rocky base, known as a hamada.
Perhaps the most remarkable trait of this site, for the majority of individuals, is its sheer height. That’s due to the fact that these attain heights measuring as much as 492 ft (150 m) in some locations. These rise from the surrounding terrain, creating a visual masterpiece.
Yet the earth wasn’t content to simply stop its efforts here at pure size alone. Combined with the actions of local forces, random chance also created a highly unique shape here. More precisely, this wonder of the desert possesses a roughly rectangular shape.
Erg Chebbi also displays other respectable dimensions. Running from north to south, this imposing structure measures about 31 mi (49.9 km). Extending east to west, however, it extends about 6.2 mi (10 km). Both of these vary, of course, due to local conditions.
Erg Chebbi Location and Ecology
The visual marvel known by the name of Erg Chebbi formed in a remote region of the globe. This area is already renowned for its abundance of natural wonders. That’s due to the fact that it’s situated on what now bears the name of the continent of Africa.
More exactly, it lies in the extreme northwestern portion of the continent. Its location further places it within the confines of the country of Morocco. The varying boundaries of the structure also coincidentally cause it to roughly line the border with Algeria.
As a general principle, the local climate of the surrounding area developed as quite harsh and arid. As remains typical of such regions, vegetation amid the stark beauty of the site also generally qualifies as almost non-existent within its boundaries.
Largely due to this situation, fauna also remains extremely scarce within its boundaries. The few known species that do survive inside this dune field in sporadic concentrations include pink asphodels, mauve statice, Fennec Fox, desert hedgehog, and jerboa.
Researchers discovered an entirely new, and physically distinctive, species of wolf spider living within the confines of the erg. A preliminary scientific study of this new species remains underway. Therefore, no detailed information about it is available at this time.
The predominant weather patterns of Erg Chebbi classify as seasonal and generally quite unpredictable. Sandstorms also occur frequently and often arise with little warning. Rainfall within the boundaries of this remarkable site also occurs highly infrequently.