- Undoubtedly, the site known as Thorsmork forms a beautifully rugged mountain ridge located in Iceland, in Europe. Obviously, this truly stunning geological marvel, as you might surmise, carries the name of the mythical Norse god named Thor.
- As a result, the given name of this amazing creation of Nature, therefore literally translates into english as Thor’s Forest. Many local inhabitants often use the same name to refer to the greater overall region in which the remarkable ridge sits.
- The magnificent natural site also sits within the southern portion of the extremely beautiful country. This feature additionally lies between two visually stunning glaciers. These formations bear the tortuous names of Eyjafjallajokull and Tindfjallokull.
- This extraordinarily picturesque ridge also remains surrounded by a highly surprising sight. That’s the presence of an amazing total of three rivers. The local inhabitants long ago gave these rivers the names Prouga, Krossa, and Markarfljot.
- Incredibly, yet another glacier also sits at one end of amazing Thorsmork. That work of Nature itself was given the name of Myrdaljokull. The nature of the impressive landscape also makes the region extremely popular with hikers and climbers.
- Unfortunately, this creates the potential for great danger, as the site remains fairly active. In 2010, the nearby peak Eyjafjallajokull notoriously erupted. This powerful eruption caused widespread disruption of air travel throughout much of Europe.
The visually stunning product of countless of ages of creation by geological forces named Thorsmork isn’t done impressing us yet. That’s because this intriguing site holds yet more natural wonders to amaze the visitor. Here, the weather only augments its awesomeness.
That’s due to the fact that the unique environmental conditions present in this location led to the formation of a very unexpected climate. Astonishingly, in fact, this remains much more temperate than most of the southern portion of the country it formed in.
These environmental conditions led to the development of a rather unique and delicate ecosystem in the immediately surrounding region. In this unique portion of the earth’s surface, to the continued amazement of all who see it, Nature succeeded in taking hold.
That’s demonstrated by a somewhat startling fact, given the location. That’s true since within the shelter and protection of the valley, a variety of vegetation grows in relativly great abundance. A surprising number of species normally found in warmer climates appear.
The most prevalent types of plants, however, include Birchwood, ferns, and moss. Enhancing this distinctive is the fact that a comparatively wide variety of small shrubs also appear within the astonishing area. The visual effect remains truly mind-boggling.
Astonishingly, yet another wonder of Nature also displays itself inside the approximate area around Thorsmork. Fed by the melting glaciers, numerous waterfalls, some large and some small, also developed within the confines of the mesmerizing geological marvel.
Understandably, given where it’s situated, conditions sometimes change rapidly. In fact, much of the region was later inundated by a layer of volcanic ash. This depositing resulted from the aforementioned volcanic eruption that occurred in the spring of 2010.
That event directly affected the mighty Thorsmork. This somewhat devastating eruption occurred when the nearby volcano Eyjafjallajokull erupted. Amazingly, the eruption happened quite unexpectedly. In point of fact, it took place to the great surprise of experts.
This proved to scientists that mankind still has much to learn about the workings of Nature. It required several months before the extremely delicate local climate returned to normal. Sadly, another eruption could happen again in the future, possibly with similar results.