Wollemi Pine Facts
- For the moment the distinctive term of Wollemi Pine serves as the common name for a truly remarkable variety of coniferous tree. Meanwhile, it also bears the scientific name of Wollemia nobilis. By either name, though, it remains a fabulous species.
- Currently, this remarkable tree also constitutes the only member of its genus. That holds true due to a highly lamentable fact. That’s due to the fact that its only known related species presently remain known only through uncovered fossil records.
- Remarkably, as is quite often the case, the discovery of this incredible species of tree occurred entirely accidentally. In 1994, a hiker and botanist, named David Noble, along with two others, discovered the supposedly extinct flora.
- At that time, the intrepid trio stumbled upon the unique trees while exploring canyons in the region. The official identification of the species occurred later, of course. This happened subsequent to detailed study of several samples he took.
- The quite remarkable Wollemi Pine also appears on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. There, it holds the understandable status of Critically Endangered. This status occurs due to its scant numbers and extremely vulnerable habitat.
- Quite unfortunately, the incredible find remains highly vulnerable. This currently remains especially true due to the effects of climate change. Thankfully, during the devastating wildfires in the region in 2019-2020, valiant efforts managed to preserve it.
Wollemi Pine Physical Description
Perhaps most notably, the stunning Wollemi Pine evolved in a surprising manner. This holds true due to the fact that it developed as a sincerely fascinating type of evergreen. It’s also most noteworthy for several particular attributes.
For one, the unique tree attains a highly respectable physical size. This fascinating species attains a maximum height of roughly 131 ft (40 m). However, the great majority of specimens actually average a height of approximately 82 ft (25 m).
The magnificent Wollemi Pine also has other well known qualities to distinguish it from other types of trees. Its bark develops with a distinctive knobby texture, along with a deep brown color. Its physically distinctive leaves appear as long, flat, and broad.
This fabulous foliage has the ability to attain as much as 3.1 in (8 cm) in length. These nevertheless only average 0.08 – 0.2 in (2 – 5 mm) in total width. The marvelous plant also produces both male and female seed cones, which can reach 4.7 in (12 cm) in length.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Phylum: Tracheophytes
- Class: Pinopsida
- Order: Pinales
- Family: Araucariaceae
- Genus: Wollemia
- Species: W. nobilis
Wollemi Pine Distribution, Habitat, and Ecology
To date, one unfortunate fact about the Wollemi Pine continues to work against this wonder of Nature. That’s the fact that the only known area in which the awesome tree appears remains limited to an extremely remote and rugged section of the world.
More precisely, this consists of a particularly rugged section of the world. More precisely, though, this forms part of what now forms the Wollemi National Park. This sits in New South Wales, which forms a part of the continent and country of Australia.
Even within this extraordinarily limited range, however, this incredible work of Nature only lives in certain very specific types of locations. In point of fact, the amazing evergreen lives only in one small section of temperate rainforest within this area.
Another factor complicates things for the tantalizing species of tree even more, though. That pertains to the conditions of its particular habitat. Remarkably, the beautiful evergreen only inhabits a group of several steep, narrow sandstone gorges.
For the moment, fewer than 100 specimens of the Wollemi Pne exist in the wild. Fortunately, however, several active preservation programs exist. These constantly monitored efforts have succeeded in propagating a number of specimens.
As a result of this ongoing effort, hope for the species survives. Several botanical gardens around the world now possess scattered individuals of this remarkable tree in their possession. A few carefully tended small groves also exist in other areas.
Species Sharing Its Range
Check out our other articles on 5 Rare Mind-Blowing Cloud Types, Blue Footed Booby, Reynisfjara Beach, Canna Lily, Devils Flower Mantis, Kemps Ridley Sea Turtle, Purple Frog
Leave a Reply