Belogradchik Rocks Facts
- Firstly, the name Belogradchik Rocks applies to truly remarkable and specific grouping of strangely shaped rock formations. Furthermore, this amazing, and quite distinctive, geological formation formed in a very remote region of the continent.
- Nevertheless, the impressive site has, on occasion, played a pivotal role in the local region. In addition to its obvious distinctiveness, the fantastic shapes also have an important cultural role in the region in which they formed.
- In point of fact, this formation has become associated with many local legends. Many of the formations bear the names of people or animals. Fortunately, the amazing location has been named a National Landmark by the government of the region.
- This much deserved action occurred in the year 1949. Due to the same beauty that led to this action, it has become a significant tourist attraction in the area. Another excellent reason exists for respecting and protecting this marvelous work of Nature.
- That holds true due to the fact that the Belogradchik Rocks also happens to be the only known habitat of a plant the IUCN presently lists as Critically Endangered. Fortunately, the government takes steps to protect the species.
Belogradchik Rocks Physical Description
Perhaps most notably, the remarkable Belogradchik Rocks has an impressive geological composition. Furthermore, this composition remains most uncommon. That’s due to the fact that it represents a combination of conglomerate and sandstone.
Furthermore, long-term erosion served to create a variety of incredible shapes out of the rocks. This includes several sharply contrasting features. However, it mainly consists of tall columns and small valleys with steeply vertical slopes.
All of this began during the Permian Period, about 230 million years ago. In addition, the same geological process also formed the surrounding mountain range. However, Nature did not simply stop there with its work at building this marvelous site.
That holds true due to one particularly startling fact. At a later period, the region actually formed the floor of a small, shallow sea. This body of water served as the source of much of the material the stunning formation remains comprised of today.
Belogradchik Rocks Location and Geography
The Belogradchik Rocks formed in a region of the world known for its natural beauty. That’s region now constitutes the country of Bulgaria, in Europe. Further, the impressive structures appear on a small portion of the western slopes of the Balkan Mountains.
Additionally, the prevalent mineral components of the rocks created striking natural features. In fact, these provide the site with a stunning visual appeal. That’s true because, in color, the various formations display a significantly wide range of colors.
However, these beautiful colors primarily consist of various shades of red, yellow, and black. But the impressiveness of the Belogradchik Rocks does not remain restricted to appearance alone. In this location Nature took its time to form a true masterpiece.
That’s due to some its especially impressive measurements. Heights vary, of course, yet some of the individual rock formations stand as tall as 656 ft (200 m). Add this to the presence of steep valleys between them and the effect becomes remarkable.
In conclusion, the total area of the geological formations covers an area measuring 19 sq mi (50 sq km). The natural formations actually appear in five amazing groupings. Finally, the largest of the natural formations sits near the town of Belogradchik, hence the name.
Features Sharing Its Region
Check out our other articles on 6 Mysterious Natural Phenomena, Ascension Island Parsley Fern, Mary River Turtle, Picasso Bug, Porcupine Ray, Pink Fairy Armadillo, Seven Rila Lakes
Leave a Reply