Devetashka Cave Facts
- The simple term of Devetashka Cave serves as the name of an incredible site. To be more precise, the title names a visually remarkable cave. Significant evidence also that indicates yet another astounding fact about this amazing location exists.
- That’s the fact that this incredible site has seen lengthy human habitation. Evidence places this dating back for tens of thousands of years. The extremely impressive cave additionally remains famous for a very specific and highly unique reason.
- Its fame occurs due to the presence of the seven differently sized holes which line its high roof. These natural openings run along its length. As a result, these allow sunlight to penetrate to the central hall, as well as to parts of its two separate fields.
- The comparatively large entrance to the remarkable cave measures about 115 ft (35 m) wide by 98 ft (30 m) in total height. The unique and picturesque Devetashka Cave now also, and quite understandably, constitutes a beautiful National Landmark.
- Thanks to concerted efforts, this fully deserved status has held true since June 1996. In addition, the site now holds a certain degree of fame. This holds true due to the fact that it has served as the site of several films, due to its distinctive beauty.
Devetashka Cave Twin Halls
The mesmerizing Devetashka Cave almost instantly creates a sense of awe and wonder in those fortunate enough to visit the site. Yet it does so not only because of its great beauty, as impressive as that is. It also captures the attention because of some remarkable attributes.
Roughly 131 ft (40 m) into the formation, an individual wonder greets the eye. In fact, the fabulous location then widens into an enormous hall. The magnificent ceiling of this stunning natural hall further reaches heights of as much as 328 ft (100 m) high in places.
Its overall measurements are quite impressive. The entire hall has a total area measuring 25,833 sq ft (2,400 sq meters). Roughly 650 ft (200 m) from the opening of the cave, it also branches into two distinct fields. These two fields themselves possess different features.
The wonders of this cave never seem to end. The awesome sights do not end with these natural halls. There are other wondrous marvels of geology hiding within this site. Indeed, many stalagmites and stalactites also fill many parts of the stunning Devetashka Cave.
Devetashka Cave Location and Underground River
Devetashka Cave formed in a region of the world already extremely well known for its abundance of great natural beauty. The general area of its location won’t surprise many. That’s because its formation occurred with the boundaries of the continent of Europe.
There, it sits inside the borders of what now forms the country of Bulgaria, in the southeastern portion of the continent. In that country, the geological masterpiece lies in the north-central section. The cave also lies situated very close to the village of Devetaki.
Given its measurements, it forms one of the largest known caves in the country. Within the mind-blowing natural structure, both halves of the cave each have their own separate beauty. These sites also serve to draw the appreciative visitor to the location.
The left cave measures approximately 1.25 mi (2 km) in length. It also contains a small underground river flowing through it which empties into the Osam river. The field to the right, however, unlike the one on the left, remains quite dry and generally very warm.
After the entrance to Devetashka Cave, the field widens out into an almost perfectly rectangular hall. How this occurred remains something of a mystery to scientists. This hall itself measures a remarkable size of about 49 feet (15 m) wide, and 164 feet (50 m) long.